No. 00 Steve Stepanian took the top spot on Saturday at Buttonwillow in June. Stepanian dropped out Sunday from damage due to contact, and Charlie Buzzetti went on for the win in Spec E30.

Saturday’s qualifying session saw the fastest lap times of the weekend by any Spec E30 driver. At the top of the list was Steve Stepanian posting the fastest lap of the weekend with a 2:09.905, and claiming pole for Saturday’s race. Only a half second behind was Matthew Theimann, who has been out of his car for a little over a year. Larry Fraser and Steve Agoston rounded out the top four with times that were .017 seconds apart at 2:10:338 and 2:10:345, respectively. Not to be outdone, Michael Mihld and Charles Buzzetti in fifth and sixth also were .01 seconds apart on and only .2 seconds of a second off Mihld and Fraser.

At the green, Stepanian got out in front, but Fraser passed him three corners into the race and built a sizable lead, leaving the drivers to battle from second through ninth. As the race progressed and the field strung out, Stepanian and Thiemann worked together to stay out front in second and third and then battled for the final three laps. At the finish, Fraser held a comfortable lead over Stepanian and Thiemann, with a charging Hubert Young finishing just a second behind. Post-race, it was determined that Fraser had passed under a waving yellow and was DQ’d. Stepanian claimed the win, with Thiemann in second and Young, who has become somewhat of a regular on the podium in the last few races, finished third.

The results from Saturday’s race were used to grid the cars for Sunday’s qualifying race. The top eight finishers were inverted, which put Buzzetti on pole with Andrew Clark in second. All the cars made it through the first two laps. Unfortunately, on lap three, there was contact between Stepanian and Gavin Bristow, forcing Stepanian to retire with suspension damage. Bristow continued, but was later DQ’d for the contact. Meanwhile, Buzzetti held the lead and took the win going wire to wire. Starting from 10th, Fraser charged through the field to take second. Mihld held off Young just long enough to hold on to third. After the race, three cars were DQ’d for violating the track-width rules.

For Sunday’s main race, Buzzetti led the pack again on the first lap with Mihld and Young close on his rear bumper. Theimann was able to get around Fraser and the two drivers battled cleanly and fiercely all race long. In an incredible show of sportsmanship to “not interfere with the regional points,” Fraser retired on the white flag lap. Mihld hounded Buzzetti all race long, and at the checkers, Buzzetti squeaked out the win by .12 seconds! Young, once again, claimed the third spot on the podium.



Join the Discussion